“Skill is fine, and genius is splendid, but the right contacts are more valuable than either.” – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
In this lively session participants will find out how to connect with people, network effectively and learn tools and techniques for a variety of settings. Networking is an essential and useful activity but can also be a daunting task. With this fun and interactive workshop we’ll help to remove the fear factor, increase your confidence and maximize your efforts. You’ll learn tactics you can use to make yourself known to your peers, build useful, reciprocal relationships, maintain your contacts and increase your network.
- Goal Setting – In this module, participants will work to develop SMART goals related to their networking activity. This provides structure and a clear set of next step actions.
- Conferences & Events – In this module, participants will learn specific strategies and techniques that will enable them to get the most networking values out of conferences and events.
- Digital Tools & Platforms – Participants will learn how to make the most out of on-line platforms such as Linked-in and twitter and learn to avoid the common “no-no’s” of on-line networking.
- Face to Face Interactions – Participants will learn practical tips for making great first impressions, active listening, managing small talk, making introductions and how to remember names.
- Your Elevator Pitch – Participants will develop their own personal elevator pitch that will allow them to make a positive and memorable first impression.
Length: .5 day or 1 Day
Group Size: 6 – 35
Target Audience: Early Career Researchers